We need you to say “NO” to SNAP cuts in the 2012 House Farm Bill today!
Starting July 11, the House Agricultural Committee will make a decision on a Farm Bill Proposal that hurts struggling families by cutting more than $16 billion from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP (formerly known as food stamps).
WHAT REALLY IS AT STAKE?
The proposal will significantly undermine Colorado’s ability to provide food assistance to poor working families, children and seniors.
- $16.5 billion will be cut from SNAP.
- 2-3 million people will lose their food assistance entirely due to very modest savings, assets, or minimum wages that they are able to earn.
- 280,000 low-income children will no longer have access to free school meals due to losing their free meal eligibility that is tied to benefits being cut in SNAP.
WHO TO CALL:
Please call Representative Scott Tipton, who is a member of the House Agriculture Committee voting on this cut to SNAP, in addition to your House Representative. Urge them to oppose the House Proposal to cut more than $16 billion from SNAP and any other cuts that could reduce or weaken SNAP.
Not sure which district you live in? Find out here.
MAKE THE CALL:
Once you know who you are calling, it’s time to pick up the phone.
To contact Colorado Representative Tipton, a member of the House Ag Committee, call (202) 225-4761.
To contact your Colorado Representative:
- Dial the Capitol switchboard at (202) 224-3121. The operator of the switchboard can direct you to your Colorado Representative.
- Or dial (877) 698-8228. When prompted enter your zip code and listen to the brief instructions. You will be automatically patched though to your Representatives office.
WHAT TO SAY:
Below is sample language that you can use to ensure that you cover the important messages about SNAP. Feel free to personalize your message, but make sure to mention that SNAP is an essential anti-hunger program.
“Hello, my name is _________ and I am calling because I care about hungry people in Colorado. First, I want express my appreciation for the House Ag Committee’s provision supporting The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP), a program that puts important commodities into our food pantries. I also want to urge Representative ___________ to protect SNAP. In Colorado, SNAP alleviates hunger, improves health and boosts the economy. To protect hungry families in Colorado, I ask that Representative ___________ oppose the House Ag Committee’s proposal to cut SNAP and any other House Farm Bill proposals that would change SNAP’s structure, reduce funding, restrict eligibility or reduce benefits. We are counting on you to alleviate food insecurity in Colorado and help struggling families, seniors and children during these tough economic times.”
WHAT ELSE CAN YOU DO TODAY?
Please forward this email to five (or more) of your friends who care about hunger in Colorado. You also can share this information on Facebook and Twitter, so other Coloradans can take action and let their voice be heard. For more information, visit www.hungerfreecolorado.org.
Thank you for making a difference in the fight against hunger.