This year marked a time of great progress in eradicating hunger across Colorado. Through innovation, collaboration, partnerships and the power of community, our state is breaking down barriers to provide all Coloradans with access to needed nutrition through healthy, affordable food.
Some of the year’s highlights include:
- Connecting more Coloradans to food resources like food stamps via our Hunger Free Hotline and mobile services
- Increasing participation in child nutrition programs via implementation of Breakfast After the Bell, a new state law to setup more Colorado students for success, as well as through a statewide collaboration to increase kids’ access to summer meals, which led to 1.5 million meals being served in 2014 (95% increase since 2009)
- Helping pass the Colorado Charitable Crop Donation Act, a new state tax credit that will boost fresh-food donations
- Releasing a statewide voter poll that shows overwhelming, widespread support of Colorado voters to address hunger and fund programs like food stamps, federally known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
- Playing a key role in the transformation of a senior meal site and menu items via The Nourish Project, with a goal to include customer input, enhance the dining experience and increase participation
- Educating and advocating through the Hunger P.O.D. Squad, a community-oriented engagement opportunity for individuals, as well as via a photovoice project that we facilitate called Hunger Through My Lens that puts real faces and stories to the overwhelming statistics of hunger
These are only a few examples of what’s been accomplished by our team of staff members and volunteers, as well as partnering organizations and supporters like you, in 2014.
This substantial progress would not have been possible without the community’s support. THANK YOU to all who have contributed to our work to ensure no Coloradan goes hungry.
Our state has come so far, but there still remains much work to be done until all Coloradans have access to nutritious food. We look forward to your continued support in 2015 and beyond as we reach more milestones—advancing policies, streamlining systems and embedding positive changes within Colorado communities. Only together can we create a hunger-free Colorado.