In the spirit of the National Nutrition Month, put words into practice and challenge yourself to Eat Like They Do in School According to the Final Rule!
At the end of January, the USDA released the Final Rule on Nutrition Standards, requiring schools to step up the nutrient quality of reimbursable meals served in an effort to better align with the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. Beginning July 2012, the new standards will require the following:
- Offer more fruits and vegetables daily and in greater varieties
- Serve more whole grain products
- Offer low-fat or fat-free milk varieties (flavored milk must be fat-free)
- Reduce sodium, saturated fat and trans fat content of meals
- Implement minimum AND maximum calorie restrictions on meal averages based on student ages
For more detailed information on the new standards visit http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/Governance/Legislation/nutritionstandards.htm.
The Challenge: For the remainder of this week challenge yourself to increase your fruit and veggie intake to one cup each at lunch and make one-half or more of your grains whole!