Overview of the AmeriCorps VISTA Summer Associates Program
AmeriCorps VISTA operates a short-term program during the summer months, known as Summer Associates. This program enhances an existing AmeriCorps VISTA project by providing individuals for 8 to 10 weeks, alongside year-round VISTA members, in an intensive level of summer service.
As a Summer Associate, your contributions will have an actual and credible impact on those being served. Your work may involve: working on Summer Meals Programs insuring low-income children eat during the Summer months; developing a curriculum of enrichment activities for youth participating in Summer Meals Programs; recruiting and training volunteers to work on SNAP (food stamp) assistance; increasing access to nutritious food for low-income individuals and families through community outreach and collaborating with other agencies to host USDA outreach; and working with farmers’ markets and community gardens in building their capacity.
- May 29th – August 6th (10 Week Program)
- June 11th – August 6th (8 Week Program)
- Summer Associates must be at least 18 years of age at the time of placement
- Be a U.S. Citizen, National or Legal Resident
- Able to commit and serve on a full-time basis for 8 – 10 weeks
- Not listed on the National Sex Offenders Public Registry
Benefits and Support
Associates are eligible to receive:
- A $1,174.60 Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or a $125/mo summer end-of service stipend
- On-site orientation and training
- A living allowance to cover necessities during service
- Involvement in the AmeriCorps VISTA Alumni Network and eCommunity
To apply, first create a profile and application at http://my.americorps.gov then apply to the “Anti-Hunger and Opportunity Corps Summer Associate” listing.
To learn more about the AmeriCorps VISTA Summer Associate Program and other AmeriCorps opportunities, visit www.americorps.gov or call (800) 942-2677.